Friday, November 13, 2015

Catoosa Ridge: Barefoot Beach Run 50 Miles 2015

Eli enjoyed a long summer off from competition while Jazeb tackled his first two 50s at Biltmore. It seemed that each time Eli was ready for a ride, something would come up. For the first Biltmore ride, Eli actually jumped over my wheelbarrow and cut his back leg. The wound was minor but I won't take him to a ride unless he is 100%. For the fall Biltmore ride, he had developed a nasty abscess. He was never lame a day, but this once again took him out of competition. Jazeb had two very successful rides but I'm still struggling with saddle fit issues with him. I'm going to pull his shoes for a month or so and get his back checked out.

By mid October, Eli was once again ready for competition. He had been physically ready all year but those small injuries had kept him out. I went to the Barefoot Beach Run with Tim and Lara Worden. This is a relatively new ride in Tennessee that is put on at a wonderful facility. They have electrical hook-ups and barns available throughout the campground. With a terrific set of volunteers and great southern hospitality, I have to say this was a very well run ride.

We settled the horses in the barn and experienced a very cold night and early morning start for mid-October. The first loop flew along and Eli relished the trail that had both really fun single track for moving out and tight technical trails with short steep hills and some areas of  rock and mud. I had not packed gloves and my fingers were so painful for 5 miles that I could do little more than get behind my friend Lara and wait until they warmed up. We did encounter a deep boggy area on this loop and it was a bit dangerous. When we arrived back we learned that Tim's horse in the LD had fallen in the bog and cut his leg, so he had rider optioned. Eli vetted through terrific and ate the lush fescue grass in the vetting area.
Photo by Unbridled Imagery

The rest of the day progressed fantastically and Eli got stronger and stronger throughout the day. He was sailing along on the last loop and we really had an amazing ride. I'm so glad that I had the opportunity to try this ride and would definitely return. I'm was really impressed with Eli's strength and power. He enjoyed himself immensely on this ride. I could not have asked for better weather and this is definitely a ride to put on your list!

No comments:

Post a Comment